any esc/p artists out there ?

I recently bought a QL-810w printer. There are two ways of working with it. One is to use the P-touch Editor, which is ok if you want to create one-off labels or templates that can pull data from a database.

The other is to use the esc/p language to send a series of codes to the printer, which lets you work directly with it, and doesn't require any other software.

I need to use the second method, but it's painful. The "Developer's Reference" provides a list of the available functions, but doesn't give detailed examples of the complete set of code sequences needed to accomplish a given task. Apparently there are a number of different codes which need to be sent in a particular sequence in order for the printer to work, but so much information is missing that it becomes a huge guessing game.

There are also a number of codes related to setting up the printing area, but how they work together is a mystery.

Using the P-touch Editor creates the label I want, but it won't display or export the esc/p commands that are involved.

Brother publishes an "SDK" which only lets you use templates which have already been created in the editor, which is not useful here.

It shouldn't be that hard to get this thing to work. There isn't even a diagnostic output to show you what is wrong.

So if there is anyone out there who is an esc/p guru, I want to hear from you.

Note: esc/p is NOT escpos. It is Brother's proprietary implementation of a printer control language, and it does not map to escpos, so those experts won't have the information needed.

Having said that, all useful comments are welcome.

Ask a Question