Broken flag paper sensor fuser HP8150N

OBSERVATIONS
My HP8150N experiences paper jams every print job and always on the same spot: Paper half way in the fuser, sticking out 5 cm. See first photo, Paper jam fuser HP8150N.jpg.
By the way I created this situation by first opening the left door and tricking the door switch and thereafter sending a test print (of 1 page long). Therefore the problem is not in the remainder of the paper path.
The error code is 13.05.10.
After turning the power off and on the paper gets ejected.

(If I would have had the left door closed the paper jam would have occured at the same place. In that case I could have the paper ejected (from the top of the printer, in the usual place) by opening and closing the top cover.

REMARKS
I do not have a spare fuser to replace the current fuser.
I uses this printer at home for private use and therefore consider a new fuser as rather expensive. I do have a spare toner cartridge and therefore would like to use this printer again.

SUSPICIONS
I suspect the detection of the paper by the sensor in the fuser fails because upon inspection I suspect the flag (on the left of the fuser) connect to the paper detection tab (on the middle of the fuser) seems broken and too short to reach the sensor on the printer body on the left side of the fuser cavity.
For a photo of what I suspect is the paper detection tab see Paper sensor fuser HP8150N.jpg.
For a photo of what I suspect is the broken flag on the left side of the fuser see Broken flag paper sensor fuser HP8150N.jpg. This part is physically connected to the paper tab on the middle of the fuser.
For a photo of what I suspect is the sensor on the printer body see Sensor paper flag fuser HP8150N.jpg, on left side.jpg.

QUESTIONS
Are my 4 suspicions correct?
How does an intact flag on the left side of the fuser look like (a photo zooming in on this part would be appreciated)?

With kind regards

Paper jam fuser HP8150N.jpg

Paper jam fuser HP8150N (holding the paper to show that it did not jam into the remainder of the paper path)
Paper sensor fuser HP8150N.jpg

Paper sensor fuser HP8150N (under the letters "M" and "P" of the word "TEMPERATURE")

Broken flag paper sensor fuser HP8150N.jpg

Broken flag paper sensor fuser HP8150N

Sensor paper flag fuser HP8150N, on left side.jpg
Sensor paper flag fuser HP8150N, on left side

What has happened since:

ACQUIRING REPLACEMENT
I posted the problem on this forum, FixYourOwnPrinter and HPSupport. The answers on the other fora convinced me the flag had broken off.

I found the supplier BrokenPrinter.com and ordered an arm with flag for $9.95 (including shipping) paying using PayPal. On its website it showed a confirmation of the order however no shipping details. I also received a confirmation email. Some time later there were still no shipping details. I requested information via a form on the website. I am not sure but I think I also called them but did not talk to a person. I looked for reviews on the internet and at least one review mentioned the word "scam". I entered a complaint at PayPal. Much to my surprise I received back my money. I asked for an explanation from BrokenPrinter.com through PayPal but received no reply.
I can not imagine ever ordering at BrokenPrinter again. It is quit well possibly they returned my money because they did not want bad plublicitly for such a small amount.

I was advised by PrinterTechs.com to look for this part at Partsmart Europe (since it is in Europe, as am I). Partsmart Europe were helpful and allowed me to pay using PayPal and bank account as well. The arm costed 1,04 euro and including shipping within Europe it costed 22,16 euro (for 2 arms).

REPLACING
Remove the two screws on the fuser at the side where the paper comses out. Remove the long small plastic part containing the arm. I strongly advise thereafter to carefully remove the 6 small hook like arms including their springs since they very easily come off. (I initially lost 3 springs but retrieved 1). Also take notice of the direction in which these arms are positioned since they can be fitted either way. I found it helpful to remove the white rollers before removing the copper coloured clips. Prise out the clips and replace the arm.

RESULT
The printer functioned.

Ask a Question