Brother MFC 8710dw Paper Jams

Hello All, My first post
I recently obtained a Brother 8710dw MFC printer from an estate of a family friend. The MFC
is in beautiful condition, in fact looks like brand new and prints, copies and scans
perfectly. My problem is repeated paper jams either in single page or multi page use. I have
checked inside for any paper junk, dirt etc. Its all spotless. Following a U Tube video
on paper jams for this model, I cleaned all rollers (none appeared dirty). Still jams most of the time
maybe get lucky and get one page printed. I did a complete reset, no joy. Paper that came with
the printer is HP 20 pound. Total Impressions 31274. All consumables show 60 %.
Can anyone point me to what may be the real problem / fix. Thanks in Advance
Enok

Could be your duplexer, the part that lines the paper to go upwards to the printhead. Have you blown compressed air in the machine at all? Or if you can, physically flip it upside down and shake it around. It could free up whatever object or debris is causing the jams.

Thanks for your reply. This morning I blew it out again with compressed air, turned it upside down and sharked the daylights out of it and then blew it out again. Sad to report
No Joy
Enok

If it's not a physical jam, it could be a sensor with something on it that's making it think there's a jam.
Thanks for the reply. I dont believe its a sensor jam, though I will check for that. The jam
causes the pages in travel to get crinkled up when the jam happens
Enok

That detail helps a lot. We've had panels not kick when they should to feed the paper in. Watching where and how the printer feeds the paper in, while guessing at what panel could help feed it in could help identify which area to focus on. Just look for moving plastic and metal parts throughout the system.

I have had some new thoughts last night. This printer is 10 years old. It unknown
where the previous owner used or stored it. Its a long shot, but possible that some or even one of the rubber rollers has really dried out and become hard, not moving hte paper correctly. Craig Labs makes a product called Deoxit for cleaning contacts, works great. I found that they also make a product that will rejuvenate and soften rubber. I trust their products and ordered a small bottle of the rejuvenator. Its worth a try. I will post back after all the rubber rollers are treated.
Enok

Warm water with a little dawn and a Q-tip can restore rollers gently.

You don't need anything fancy to flush and clean these printers. Manufacturers want you to rely on their niche products like piezoflush or whatever faintly blue tinted bottle you find on the internet. But in reality, all the products you need are readily available and most likely already in your home. Isopropyl Alcohol and regular blue Windex with ammonia. That's usually all you need.

Ask a Question