Epson 4100 not recognized

I have used my Epson 4100 for about 3 years as a "slave" printer, could not be more satisfied. Had a power outage 3 days ago and now it will not print. I get a "no paper" message (the paper feed is loaded), deleting (out of paper) message and "not connected to computer" message. I can scan and copy to my computer and I can scan! I cannot clear these errors,and I cannot print. It will not load new programming, I cannot delete the current programming - I am frustrated! Anyone have an answer? (I have refired my computer 4 times with print on/off/connected/not connected. Nothing changes)

Hi

Worst case is that there was a surge when the power was restored and it fried your printer in some way. If that is the case and the printer is a low-end / low price choice, it might be cheaper in time and money to just scrap it for a new one.

Better case, is that the printer and its comms with the computer have been compromised. If you can still scan on the printer, can you scan and print from the printer? (that will tell you if the 'printing' issue is within the device or in the comms).

Regardless, I'd suggest uninstalling the printer software and device from your Windows (or Mac?) system and then switch off the computer & printer, unplug everything, and start as if setting up / installing for the first time. That should clear any mis-match in the comms between the printer and computer.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Tony

Tony, I followed your instructions immediately - and it appears to be fried. It's low end, of course, and it is definitely a better plan to wave good-bye to it and buy new. I will scan, but it will not do any function that requires a paper feed (copying, printing). Minimally the "paper feed is empty" "mechanism" is fried. Thank you so much. I just didn't know what to do! I am in Arizona, it's been over 100 degrees, the power has been dipping and did go off, and I was using the printer. Thank you - hope someone repays your kindness.

Hi

Spend a little more and get a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) to help filter the power. Plug all your computer and printer devices into the UPS to protect your computer eco-system.

It is not brown-outs that will impact as much as the surge when the power cuts back in.

High summer with everyone using air-cons and fans and fridges will mean more issues with power.

cheers
Tony

Ask a Question