Epson 8550 poor definition

Recently bought and Epson 8550 for printing nature photography for framing etc.

i get I understand the general issues around colour reproduction and I’m learning reasonably well how to achieve the colours that want to see in comparison to what my computer screen is showing – this is not this issue.

My problem is getting good definition on a busy picture. For example, a picture that contains a lot of, ferns in the foreground or perhaps complex petals of a flower or the busyness of a close up photograph of moss. All of these come out very blurry whereas on the computer screen blades of grass or individual petals structure within them is very clear it’s just blurring when I print. I’ve use favourite sharpen controls in the software but they don’t help these very busy areas of a photo.

Any thoughts or advice this.

Also do people find the software that they print from makes difference and printing from ON1 post production software

Software will change the print quality based on their settings and the settings in the driver. Q-Image is preferred by most enthusiasts. However, I would try Epsons own software [Epson Print Layout or EPL] next to test whether it's ON1 or not. Q-Image or any properly configured Adobe PS or IL dialog page will work well also. Have you tried running a few printhead cleaning operations as well? That could help with image clarity.

Also remember, digital images to printed media will show VERY big differences in quality as they are two very different mediums. If you could give us an example of an image you've printed with the results, we can better help you get back up and printing.

Many thanks for responding. The printer is new and been used for maybe 30 prints so I have been through cleaning process since initial set up, but I can of course.

I have attach a small portion of the exported jpg file of the image (section DSC02110) and a scan of the print (which is worse than the print, but not a lot worse) PrintedScaned Section DSC02110. The colours look dramatically different in these two jpg but the print and screen colour match quite well.

Thanks for looking at this.

section DSC02110.jpg
PrintedScaned Section DSC02110.jpg

Ask a Question