Fix laser printing issues (smudges) after over 1 year non-use ( IBM Infoprint 1832 / 1852 )

Hi there,

After long storage and non-use of several high-speed monochrome laser printers, I need to service them as they show print quality issues which are :
- smudges
- some chars not printing fully, like the toner does not set well on paper.

These printers are Ricoh IBM Infoprint 1832 and 1852, from the same family, like the one visible in this video.

They do have high yield toner cartridges inside, 25000 pages each, well filled, and it would be a shame not saving these printers.

The printers were stored in a temperate warehouse, at around 20 °C (i.e. 68 °F).
The location is not especially damp, but I missed adding a moisture absorber like previous years.
The moisture absorber was typically taking around 1 liter of water out of the air per season.
I feel the warehouse may have not been dry enough, as I didn't had this kind of issue previous years.

The printers were stored on their rear side, instead of their bottom side, due to the cardboard box that I have to use for their transportation to events.
Storing them on their bottom side would have been preferable. However similar storage was previsouly done during almost 8 years and I had no issue from one year to another.

Each printer is around 20 Kg - 25 Kg. The conditions for the maintenance are bad ones, due to the weight of the printers, lack of space, and the small warehouse not being in a decent workshop.

I wonder if there are some maintenance tasks that are easier to do than others and that I should do first.

Should I shake the toner cartridges ?
Dry them in a oven ? (Maybe at 50°C ?)

Are some components easy to clean ?
By brushing them ?
By dry-cleaning them ?
By cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol (i.e. isopropanol) ?

What are the do and don't to fix the print quality issues ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Ask a Question