Ink use in Epson WF-7820

I've just been realizing how quick my "generally new" printer has been going through ink. This last set couldn't even get 6 months. I know that doesn't mean much, but if you knew how little I've printed, only text and usually choosing only black, I'm a bit dumbfounded. To be honest, I had a hard time telling the difference in weight between the "empty" cartridges and the "full" new ones I just put in. I've been running only Epson cartridges since new and I've put in the higher capacity in for black (XL). Very disappointing when my total price is $130 for replacements. The compatible cartridges aren't even cheaper...actually, a bit more, and it's stated that they aren't compatible with the newest firmware. I love the printer but am quite disappointed in its ink usage! Imagine if I was printing photos!

Hmmm. Seriously. Found this: "the consensus seems to be that manufacturers err heavily on the side of cushioning low-ink alerts. That is, they'd much rather have you toss out a cartridge with ink left than print for weeks or months longer before spending more cash on new ones. One study indicated that nearly 60 percent of ink goes unused and is thrown away."

Last edited:
Switch to a laser next time and never look back. They print thousands of times before being empty. For office and business document printing, color lasers are the way to go. The manufacturers don't want you to know that though.

Yes, I had considered it but didn’t. I need scanning options with the printer and, yes, color. It also needs to be wireless. Any recommendations? I use a Mac.

I had considered it but wasn’t quite ready not knowing if toner would cost a lot more. Any recommendations? I use a Mac. it needs to be a scanner (preferably larger format than just 8.5 X 11. Also needs to be color and wireless.

We were gifted a new Canon MF641CW All In One color laser printer over the summer that has treated us very well. All of our financial documents and everything business goes through it. Including wireless scans. Take a look around yard sales. You might be surprised to get a great deal on one that was barely used.

Last edited:

Ask a Question