What common chemicals can be used for nozzle/head cleaning now that Windex with ammonia unavailable?

I want to clean the nozzles/head on my Stylus Color 1400. It's been a long time since I did a nozzle/head cleaning, and that was on another printer. Back then, we could use the Windex with ammonia formulation and alcohol.

However, where I am, the original Windex with ammonia formulation is no longer available. I don't want to spend a ton of money on commercial cleaning fluid, as it's pricey, and I intend only to clean the nozzles/head on this one printer once... just enough to demo the printer properly so I can sell it. So, what common chemicals are recommended nowadays for cleaning?

Also, there seems to be some difference of opinion about the best method to clean heads/nozzles. Some tell you to push cleaning fluid into the nozzles and others say that's not as safe as pulling ink up into they syringe, which they claim avoids damage. What do you recommend?

Honestly, 70% or higher IPA works fine. We prefer 91% in our experience. If you're dead set on having ammonia in it, get straight ammonia and add it sparingly to your IPA.

We also created a great tutorial on safely flushing your Epson 1400. You can do it with the printhead still installed. Or if you wish to remove the printhead, the cleaning process becomes much easier.

Thanks, but...

1. This is quite different from my printer.
2. The video contains largely shots of someone's arm. They don't get that you can't see through flesh
and bone, so...not helpful.

About 7 minutes in. This method works for your printer. The flesh and bone comment doesn't make sense because you can clearly see I'm cleaning the nozzles with Q-tips.

Anyways, there's a section in it that is exclusively for flushing printheads if you watch it. They're both similar in the cleaning and flushing process. There are also many videos on YouTube that will show the Artisan 1430 printhead cleaning that is identical to your 1400.

I've scoured YouTube for you and filtered out the only 2 that are straightforward and useful. Here are two videos that show you everything with your printer. Please try to envision your 1400 instead:
https://www.upandprinting.com/etc/e1430-1.mp4
https://www.upandprinting.com/etc/e1430-2.mp4

That looks a lot better, thanks. I was watching one from Inkjet Mall (makers of Piezo Flush)
which is also very good.

Interesting.

1. In your opinion, alcohol on its own does a good enough job?

2. What gauge tubing is needed to clean the nozzles? Everyone keeps saying aqarium tubing,
but it would be cheaper if I had a size/gauge of tubing. Thanks.

A higher purity IPA works just fine. I always put Windex with ammonia in as well until it's a faint blue tint. But if you can't get regular Windex with ammonia, hardware store ammonia would work just fine in very small amounts.

Thank you. If I decide to inject it through the ink points, what size silicone tubing is used for that? And...is it common across printer models/brands, or is every printer different?

What are universal?
syrgine.jpg

Ugh. Apparently this printer seems to have very small ink points. I cleaned out the ink well, the print head and the ink cartridge points.

However, when I went to flush fluid through the points, both syringes/tubes I had were too big. So I got a smaller sized one nearby. That's small but still too big. Apparently, I need something else.

I should've but bought a kit from Asia, but I was in a hurry, and thought I'd find the right syringe/tube size locally at medical supply stores I was wrong. Now I'm even more behind. Anyone know what gauge tubing fits snugly? I'm normally a patient guy who takes his time, but I have a prospective buyer and would like to get rid of this thing.

Ask a Question